Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A wrinkle, a sign

I don't get fashion.

Truly.

Let's depart from the obvious, if you know me, you know, by saying "of course you don't get fashion, look at what you're wearing"

I get it that my children literally have more fashion sense than I; that I have to ask for help in the morning "can I wear black and blue together?"... So let's put all that under the bridge. I want to deconstruct a little deeper here, and for that, we need a wrinkle. Actually, several wrinkles. And not stale wrinkles, but fresh ones. Lost yet? Welcome to my world.

So here's the deal.

I went out two weekends ago, under duress, with my family, with the intention of sourcing some new clothes out for my new gig. Duress was my thing, not theirs. Shopping (unless it's for gadgets or books) for me involves picturing what you want, and going and buying it as quickly as possible. More so for clothes. So I get more and more uptight with the exercise, in apparent contradistinction from my patient wife and exuberant sires, all three of whom are quite pleased to pick out things that would look nice on Dad.

Fast forward, 7 or 8 pairs of pants later, and we have decided on a pair of 'fine cotton' Jones of New York casual black business pants. On for about half price - $65 - and they fit and look nice (this from opinions not under the heavy shadow of my fashion misperceptions.)

So I bring them home, iron them, and wear them to work, somewhat chagrined that by the time I get to work via the train and a .5 km walk, they're wrinkled. Ironing is time consuming, and finicky work, which I do actually enjoy at times, but this joy is quickly lost if the iron-ees don't keep well.

I go back to my patient spouse, and engage in a variant of conversations we've had before about fashion.

"So, Dbuiz, nice pants but they're wrinkled well before the end of the day - by the time I get to work actually"

"That's fine - good cotton will do that"

"Wrinkle?"

"That's right"

"So it's ok to walk around work with wrinkles in my pants? I thought that was the whole point of ironing before I wore them"

"Well, those are fresh wrinkles - they're fine. It's old wrinkles that look awful."

"Honestly?"

"Honestly".

So.

You pay more money for a nicer fabric - a lighter, more comfortable cotton. And these pants have that. But ultimately you are paying more money for something that will wrinkle faster than a no-iron cheaper blend, but this is ok as long as you make sure the wrinkles are fresh, not stale.

Another day, another post - or maybe I'll find a legacy post - about some other fashion issues I have, but for now, I'll just file this under general doey-eyed confusion about the wearing of tailored fabrics.

No comments:

Blog Archive